Reinforcements: Farseer and Warlock Jetbikes

After a lot of work and probably one too many breaks, I've finally finished this set of conversions!  I've learned a lot along the way for conversion work.  This is also probably the most converting I've done in a while/ever.

The conversion side of things was pretty straight forward, with the torsos from the Plastic Farseer kit being greenstuffed to the legs of the jetbike riders.  After that dried I used greenstuff to sculpt the flowing robes in a split duster fashion around the rear of the jetbikes.  On the farseer I used some leftover greenstuff to sculpt a big gem on the jetbike.

For the paint I used VMC German Grey as a base, washed heavily with Badab Black and then highlighted back up to German Grey.  I then used GW The Fang for a starter line highlight and then gave it a final line highlight of Fenrisian Grey.  The freehand on the Farseer was done with Fenrisian Grey.

The metals were painted by basecoating the areas in Necron Compound, washing them with Devlan Mud, then highlighting with another selective layer of Necron Compound.  I then washed the metals again with Devlan Mud.  The blade was then given a few small washes of black to strengthen the offset of the highlighting.

Gems were done in the standard method and given a layer of VMC Gloss Medium.

Glad to have them done at long last, but these guys and the two other commissioned models really have helped me get back in the swing of things with wargaming.  I'll hopefully be able to keep up the momentum and getting new models up more often!


Reinforcements: Eldar Farseer

Another commission model!  A good work up to the trio of jetbikes I have on my plate for the next round of paint and a nice break from all of the Space Marines I usually end up painting!

This model started off a lot differently than it ended up.  I had planned to work the whites using a sepia wash and work up, but for some reason the warm colors just didn't fit the model, and the other warm tones on top of the white weren't working for me either.  So I scrapped the idea and moved back to a lot of the same paint colors I used on a Harlequin model for the same friend.

The robes and white armor are done using The Fang blue base, worked up to Fenrisian Grey and finally a touch of VMC Off-White.  I did a little color wash/glazing in the recesses when it needed some more depth.

Black areas were highlighted with The Fang and given a secondary highlight of Fenrisian Grey.

The metallics were all done by base coating the area in Necron Compound Silver and washing heavily with Devlan Mud so that it hung heavy in some spots and lighter in others.  Once dry, I went back in with Silver and touched up some edges and upward facing areas.  The blade faces were washed a little with Badab Black using some care to offset where the black pooled on the blade sides.

Gems were done using a black base, VMC Purple toward the lower edges, highlighted with 50/50 Purple/Off-White, a second level of highlights with 25/75 Purple/Off-White and a final dot highlight of white in the upper corner.

Pouches were painted Black and highlighted with Bestial Brown and given a final highlight of Snakebite Leather.  Both were done in a line highlight fashion along predominate edges.

The base was done with a base coat of Bestial Brown, drybrushed with Bleached Bone and then washed heavily with Devlan Mud.  Static Grass was added after sealing the model.


Reinforcements: Logan Grimnar

Continuing to get myself back into the hobby, I've been working on some commission jobs for a few friends.  To start things off I got cracking on a Logan Grimnar.  This is my first chance at this model, and I have to say I'm a little glad I've never worked that much with Finecast.  It's just a terrible medium with tons of pits and unfilled detail.  Though once I got through that bit with a little greenstuff fix up, filing and filling, I was able to really dig in with the paint.

Overall the model follows my standard Space Wolves paint scheme.  The only real difference being the black shoulder pad which used a little VMC German Grey washed with Badab Black and highlighted with a little Fortress Grey.  The wolf and star are freehand, unfortunately no white wolf decals on the Space Wolf decal sheets!

The snow was done using my standard snow method.

Overall, I'm really happy with how he came out.  Just looking forward to seeing finecast phased out at long last.

Stay tuned for more work soon!  I've got a table full of Eldar still on hand to finish up!