20120105

Reinforcements: Falcon Guard



In an effort to get my painting hands back before I dive into a slightly more involved commission project, I thought I might start out with some simple tactical marines.  The other reason for this squad is that I wasn't aware that my friend and I were going to be swapping gifts and when he told me my gift was being worked on, I had an instant flash of what I should do for a return gift!

The color scheme is that of his Falcon Guard Chapter.  This faction is one of the many he has started developing for his Battle for the Malina System blog and campaign setting.  I've been helping with color choices and even did a single marine for him some time back.  I have a ton of tacticals waiting for paint and these guys make a great start for his force, which as of this squad totals 6!

The modeling went quickly as all of these are starter set marines from either AoBR or the old BFM sets.  Each was based with a simple sand/ballast mix.  For more on basing check out our basic basing tutorial.

The armor was painted with Iyaden Darksun, washed with Devlan Mud, cleaned up with Iyaden Darksun again, and highlighted with Bleached Bone.  To speed things up, for the initial base color, I used my airbrush.

For the green shoulder trim, it's simply a painted metallic and then washed with Thraka Green.

Hopefully they keep him excited to hobby and kick start him army well when he gets to them!  Now, on to the next piece...