Over the weekend I was able to get out to a good friends place and get some game time in. While I was there I was letting some new gamers play using my Sons of Medusa
and Angels Sanguine
. This meant a little time sitting down to figure out some quick army lists for people to use. The Sons of Medusa being the most basic of the armies I have I was making good use of them and digging around for extra points at times when I couldn't quite make the point max dead on. Messing with the Master of the Forge options I started toying with the idea of taking some servitors to help flesh out the point totals from time to time, add a wound, and maybe a little more combat effectiveness to a unit that tends to sit back a lot.
With the thought sparked I came home from my the weekend away and got to work on cleaning, modeling and priming two servitors. The first of which you see above in his freshly finished paint, the second to come soon after.
Paint was fairly simple and straight forward for all but the skin tone. For the skin I painted the areas with VMC Cork Brown, washed with Gryphonne Sepia, touched up high points with Cork Brown, then highlighted with 50/50 Cork Brown/VMC Ivory, and a few touches of what looked to be a 25/75 of Cork Brown/Ivory. I then washed this back down with Devlan Mud and touched the highlights up a little with the 25/75 here and there.
Metals followed my typical metallic wash method
with Chainmail as the base color, washed with Badab Black, touched up with Chainmail and a few areas given a wash of either Devlan Mud or Gryphonne Sepia.
Red was done with a Mechrite Red base color, washed with Gryphonne Sepia, touched up with Mechrite Red, highlight of Blood Red, and a final highlight of Blazing Orange. I washed this again with Devlan Mud and did a touch up highlight of Blazing Orange.
Black areas are Chaos Black line highlighted with Codex Grey and given a final line highlight of Fortress Grey leaving some of the Codex Grey showing.
The base was painted Bestial Brown and dry brushed with Bleached Bone before painting the rim with Chaos Black. Static Grass was added in typical fashion
using Gale Force 9 Arid Grass.
After a Matt Varnish spray, I found he was still very shiny from the wash layers and hit many of the non-metallic areas with a brush on VMC Matt Varnish to kill it off.
The Sons of Medusa are bolstered once more with a new unit that is in keeping with their background and one that I hope will be useful in filling out an army lists from time to time! I have more of these guys to do still but 1/4 in a single night is the kind of progress I can handle!