20090820

Eye Candy Thursday: Splnes Orks

[Ed.: I've been watching the progress of a local player's Orks and his scheme has reignited my fascination with yellow. Here are a few pics and his run down on his technique; I hope you enjoy and it ignites a flurry of yellow armies! -- RealGenius]



Just a really quick rundown of what we are working on today. RealGenius asked me to do a little tutorial on my newest army, you may have heard of a little Ork clan called Bad Moons. I chose the Bad Moon clan for their wealth; I wanted to build a heavy army full of Nobs, Mega Nobs, Looted Tanks, Battlewagons, and grot slaves.





I’m relatively new to painting Orks; I started with a single nob and worked out the flesh tones until I found an even color I liked with lots of highlights and so nice shades. He didn’t turn out exactly as planed but it gave me a good idea of the direction I was headed. The armor color was a no-brainer since I was working with Bad Moons I will be working with yellows. Now there’s no reason I have to work with those brighter yellows, my Orks like getting dirty. So first I loaded up on the colors I thought would be needed: Chaos Black, Skull White, Bleached Bone, Gore Red… you get the idea, I got paint!

Now the big colors used in this project would be the greens. I picked up Goblin Green and Snot Green for an orky feel. For my yellow I use Bubonic Brown?!?! It’s yellow to me! But let’s push ahead. Another important detail is my washing, I will use Devlin Mud and Thakka Green, maybe some others but mostly those two. Now that we’ve gathered the right colors we can jump right in and paint these bad boys up.

1) First things first, remove all the flash off your new models and glue him to a base, some people don’t glue the model to the base until their done painting but for these Orks I did for one major reason, I wanted it to look like they had been tromping though the mud. To achieve that I glue the model down then, with white glue, glue down some small rock and sand. Don’t worry about getting it on those Ork boots… we’ve been a tromping!

2) I then prime, every body knows that a good solid coat of prime is the best start to having a durable model! I use black primer since my Orks will be mostly dark colors.

3) After that primer is done drying I slop on my base colors. Now Orks are not uniform creatures, they don’t wake up in the morning a color coordinate themselves with their fellow looters! My Orks all have different clothing colors, I try to keep the pants darker and the shirts lighter but, hey, sometimes you got the mix it up. I try to stay neat but hey if you spill over a little we can fix that latter. Now to keep with the Bad Moon theme I paint any armor with my “yellow”. Also any glyphs I hit up with the yellow. I use a mixture of metallic to paint guns and bullets or earrings, go wild it adds flare!

4) Now to the flesh, I start with an even coat of Goblin Green, head to toe. I use Leather Brown and then Bleached Bone for teeth, eyes, and finger nails, also any bones they may be carrying, such as skulls or bull skulls.

5) Once I’ve painted every piece of the model I wash the entire thing in Devlin Mud. I go thick allowing the mud to flow into the deeper recesses.

6) After the Ork is dry I go back to the flesh, I use the Snot Green to go over all the muscles and raised parts of the model such as eyebrows.

7) Allow that to dry and follow up with a good dry brush of Goblin Green, I lay this one on pretty thick but not so much to completely cover the Snot. Also stay away from the valleys! You only want to highlight the raised up parts and let that nice shade hide down in the crevices.

8 ) Wash all your flesh in a light coat of Thakka Green.

9) Now I mix a 25/75 skull white and Goblin Green and lightly dry brush over only the upper most details; mainly the veins on the muscles and face.

10) Wash all your flesh in a light coat of Thakka Green.

11) I go back and hit up the armor plates with more yellow, avoid details such as bullet holes and scars. Also I like to paint on some checkers or flames since Orks are so fond of these markings. For the checkers I use mostly white and black, but I like to go back and wash over the white with Devlin mud to dirty it up a bit.

12) Now all you need to do is a bit of touch up work. Maybe a little highlighting on the weapons.

13) For the base I use a tan, this is the only paint that is not GW. But for the most part its just tan. I water it down and paint the entire base including getting on some of the orks boots or paints. Once it dries I wash it with Devlin Mud, and I’m done.



Go forth and paint yellow! Seeing a bunch of new, yellow Bad Moons out there is great compared to the old 80's red and yellow Orks I'm used to seeing.

You can follow Splnes' Bad Moon Ork project online at http://www.beltofskulls.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. Not an Ork person, but this bike looks great.
    Nice contrast. a bright and gritty piece at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i primed white do u think that the skin would turn out the same?

    ReplyDelete

Comments