After running into a legal wall (ACMI), Les has decided to release his inexpensive wash recipe to the public to help the community since he can no longer offer them via an online shop. (Edit: Les has worked out the legal issues and offers his full range of washes on AwesomePaintjob.com for those without the time or patience to make your own!)
(Edit: The Video is no longer available, but the recipe still works!)
You will need:
- Distilled Water (grocery store)
- Liquitex Matte Medium
- Liquitex Flow-Aid Fluid Additive
- Plastic Squeeze Bottle
- Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Water-Resistant Artist's Ink
- Large Plastic Squeeze Filler Bottles
- Recipe notebook so you can write down custom mixes
- Fill 1 filler bottle with Matte Medium, the other with a 10:1 Distilled Water and Flow Aid.
- Fill the 1oz Dropper Bottle half way with Matte Medium then fill the rest of the way with the Water/Flow Aid mix leaving a little room for the ink drops so you dont over flow.
- Every bottle uses this combination to start with.
- Shake inks well before adding them to the mix.
My mixes will give you a starting point and you can customize to your liking from there.
Soft Body Black: 20 drops Black
Heavy Body Black: 60 drops Black
Parchment: 40 Drops Flesh Tint
Flesh Wash: 40 Drops Burnt Umber
Dark Sepia: 40 Drops Sepia
Blue: 40 Drops Rowney Blue
Green: 40 Drops Dark Green
Purple: 40 Drops Purple Lake
You can mix the ink colors to make infinate amounts of custom colors for your own purpose. Never buy washes with limited color choices. You now have the recipe to the most flexible wash production that you can do at home.