20101230

Reinforcements: Lukas the Trickster


Well, he's not for my army, but he's reinforcing a friends!  This guy was a friendly commission done up for an aspiring Space Wolf player.  This will be the first of his army to be painted and hopefully, a centerpiece he'll be proud to field! 

I had a lot of issues with this model around 45% finished.  He's just so busy that it's hard to get your bearings with what you're working on next.  I think I stepped away from him a half dozen times to clear my head and not just give up on the piece for a few months!  In the end I was able to buckle down and get him finished up, if after a lot longer than I had expected to work on it.  Character models just seem to work out like that though.

There would have been a full on video of the painting process had it just been a normal Space Wolf model.  But thanks to all of that detail, I got rather fed up with filming and sticking to a set plan of painting.  So I put the camera up and just went at the piece as things caught my eye. 

A few notes though. 

The armor is painted with a 50/50 mix of GW Shadow Grey/GW Space Wolves Grey, washed with a watered down GW Badab Black, touched up again with the 50/50 mix and final highlights are done with pure GW Space Wolves Grey. 

The fur was painted GW Codex Grey, washed with GW Gryphonne Sepia, drybrushed with Codex Grey again, highlight drybrushed with GW Fortress Grey and a final drybrushed highlight of GW Skull White on a few of the raised points. 

The red of the cloak is done with GW Red Gore highlighted by a 75/25 mix of GW Red Gore/GW Bleached Bone.  A few spots were then washed with GW Gryphonne Sepia to add a little added depth. 

The yellow of the shoulder pads are done with a base of VMC Dark Flesh highlighted with a 50/50 mix of VMC Dark Flesh/GW Skull White. 

Metallics are done using my typical metals method.

Bones and teeth were painted using VMC Ivory washed by GW Gryphonne Sepia touched back up with VMC Ivory.

I have always loved Space Wolves, so this project was a nice break from my armies and a good way to get back into the swing of things.  Here's to seeing him on the battlefield in the near future!