20100720

Reinforcements: AoBR Ork Warboss


It's been a long time since I first started working on my ork warband.  I picked up the Assault on Black Reach boxed set and knew I wanted to do something with them, but I also knew that whatever it was going to end up being would be a long time in the making.  True to form, there are now only 5 finished models at this point in the force!



I started these guys with no real direction, working on different skin tones and playing around with a variety of shades.  I have since decided that I'll approach each ork with the same sense of playfulness as I do with human skin and just wing it each time!  The spectrum I can run is limited to only my will to mess with the glazing and washes to different degrees.  In fact the only point that stays the same is the base coloring of Gnarlock Green.

For this guy, I played around with a thin red glaze in some areas that you might be able to pick up from the photo around his face, veins and some larger surfaces.  I tempered these glazes with bleached bone glazing.

The bones/teeth/light cloth are all done with the method lined out in this article.  Varying the final highlight allows for a good amount of difference between certain elements.

The rusting was done with this washing technique.  It's not super realistic by any means but works great for a quick table top job. 

The gear and clothing is all done according to WW2 US infantry colors, worked out from the Flames of War Vallejo Paint kit.  I paint each section opaque, wash with Badab Black and highlight with the color again.  I outlined this simple washing technique some time ago in this article using the Orks.

The lens was painted using a Snakebite Leather, 50/50 Snakebite Leather/Golden Yellow, Golden Yellow, 50/50 Golden Yellow/Skull White and a final dot of Skull White in typical gem painting fashion.


The army so far is nothing to call home about, but it's progress on a long term army that is always fun to take a small break with from time to time.  I get to play with a loose, rugged style and go overboard without hesitations.  Not to mention all of the fun scratch building you get to do.  More on that in the near future though!

Stay tuned for more on my newest project for these guys.  It's going to be a big build/paint, but I hope the end results will be worth the effort!  I'd love to hear your thoughts on these guys, and find out what you've been working on recently!  Show and tell time!