20110415

TPC Random: grey_death Artwork

Repose - 3'x10' Graphite Pencil on Paper
Click to view larger version

Some of you might have noticed I've been a touch quieter over the last two weeks, and I owe that fact entirely to school.  I've mentioned before that I'm currently working on my art degree, and to that end haven't shared much else here with everyone.  I feel that's something I would like to change as I get more and more involved in the arts and would like to begin bringing more of the knowledge I pick up over the next few years to the hobby and the community at large. 

My current school has an annual transfer gallery show to feature some of the students that have gone through their doors and are planning to attend new, 4 year programs the next year.  This year just happens to be the year I'm making my way on to one of those very schools, Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore.  So early this winter I knew I would be doing a piece specifically for this show.  I started planning and getting ideas together early on and knew what I was going to do pretty much out the gate.  Thanks to a previous gallery piece, I knew how I was going to do it as well.

Concept Sketch

Above you'll find an early sketch that I used as a sort of 'proof of concept' to give me an idea just what I was going for.  From here I began getting the full scale piece together.  Over a single weekend I dove in and pulled a full 24 hours of actual drawing time in front of my hobby room wall, where the paper was pinned, to finish the piece.  The coming week was full of other class projects that I knew I could finish later but would have to put my nose to the grind to finish.

A shot with me in it for scale.

The piece went up in the CCBC Catonsville Gallery the same week and will be on display for around a month.  The response has been extremely positive and I'm very happy with the finished product.  It's always fun to create something new and challenging, especially at this scale.  My work over the past two semesters has grown a lot in a short time and I'm very excited to see where it goes from here.

A view from outside.

Thanks for reading a little bit about what I do outside of TPC and I hope you guys don't mind if I share a little more during the downtime as I put together more work in the future!