20110602

Reinforcements: Rothir the Psychopath


His big, he's bad, and he's completely out of his mind insane.  The Khorne Lord on Juggernaut is easily my favorite model in the entire Games-Workshop range.  It's brooding, it's menacing, it's beastly.  The model is everything I've imagined a warrior of Khorne (also my favorite of the four Chaos gods) should be.  When this model came out, I had to have it, and that need turned into an entire Warriors of Chaos force!  Of course, I'm still working on the army, but this landmark model makes me want to get more finished up so I can finally field him!

I approached this model knowing I wanted a good amount of contrast between the juggernaut and the lord.  To help push the brooding hardly restrained killer look, I wanted to make him much darker than how Games-Workshop presents their version of the model.  The clean look falls in line with the rest of the force and reinforces the pose which is almost regal. 

The base colors were done using an airbrush, then highlighted with with the airbrush as well.  To see the models airbrush breakdown, be sure to check out the WIP shot of him.  The lords armor caught a wash of Badab Black and just a touch in some spots for the juggernaut.  The armor was then glazed selectively on ground-ward facing plates and a few areas for shadows with Black.  The lord caught the majority of this to add a lot of depth.  The armor was highlighted back up a little in spots by brush.  Sorry about not having colors for you here.  I did this some months back!  Be sure to check out the WIP above for a better look at the initial colors, you might be able to reverse engineer it!

The metals were done with a simple metallic washed with Babab Black for the silvers and Gryphonne Sepia for gold/bronze.  The weapon was glazed with Black adding a sense of sky/earth. 

The cloak was painted with Bestial Brown, drybrushed with Snakebite Leather and final drybrush highlight of Bleached Bone.  This was all toned back down with a heavy Devlin Mud wash. 

Leathers followed the standard scheme for my Warriors of Chaos, Black, edge highlighted with Bestial Brown and a final, thinner edge of Snakebite Leather. 

I'm really quite happy with this model.  I had a lot of fun with the paint job, even if it was spread out a lot over a long period of time.  It's going to make a great centerpiece to my force once it's all finished up! 

If you want to see more of this force, be sure you check out the Warriors of Chaos tag.  I really love this army, if only as a diversion to my usual 40k armies from time to time.